Thursday, May 3, 2007

day 3 oh snap

When I asked you that day in the hallway,
“Can you teach me to be strong like you”,
You just looked at me with those child’s eyes filled with wonder and said.
“You’re a lot stronger than me”
It hit me like a brick to the face.
That I wasn’t even close to being as strong as you.

How did you keep standing when you were pushed time and time again?
Because I’ve watched you fall over and over and you refuse to let me in.
Where does this courage come from to keep you living each day like nothing went wrong.
I see the bruises and the pain written accost your forehead.
And I was wondering.
Can you take five minuets out of your day and teach me,
teach me how to be strong.

I want to be just like you,
The one they all pick on because you’re the one that doesn’t talk much.

Or when principal called you out of fifth grade and stood in the hallway and she told you your mom and dad were in an accident and didn’t know if they were going to survive.
And you just stood there and didn’t say anything until they asked you what you wanted to do.
And all you said was “what do you think would be the best thing to do”.

You left half the class in shock and the principle as well because they didn’t expect that.
They all expected you to double over chest heaving and eyes filled to the brim with tears and you would have gone home that day,
But you didn’t because it was your decision,
Mom would want you to stay in school.
Because you were in the middle of a test and you needed to pass because you couldn’t afford one bad grade”.

Because you wanted to make it in collage and only smart kids get grants because you couldn’t afford it.

You didn’t want to end up like your mother who walks the streets and sell her self for a small amount of money to keep it so you had a good life.

You didn’t want to end up like your father who repeatedly through your mom around and bruised her on almost every place that could be broken.

I want to be strong like you to look death in the eyes and say leave my mom alone.

Then you would hit pavement and your mother would cry over her son just like this was it and you wouldn’t wake up.


The next day,
you didn’t come to school,
the papers said you were murdered,
a metal Base bat to the chest and your heart just gave out.

And the more I think about it I bet you walked right up to god and said you were sorry because you weren’t strong enough.
And when god looked you in the eyes I know he told you that you are human and strength isn’t always measured in how much you can move or how hard you punch its measured in your heart.
And in his eyes you weren’t strong you were even better.

To this day I want to be just like you.
I want to look death striate in the eyes and say “I’m not afraid!”

And I know you can hear me from were you are and I have to ask,
Ryan can you teach me to be strong,
to be strong just like you.








likes critism please

No comments: